World ranked middleweight Willie Monroe, Jr. looking for major fights in 2017

  by    0   0

Philadelphia, Penn./Rochester, New York (Dec. 19, 2016) -Willie Monroe, Jr. is ready for another major opportunity after a year where he defeated two world title challengers.

The native of Rochester, New York scored unanimous decision victories over John Thompson and Gabriel Rosado in 2016 to put himself in position to be mentioned for an early-2017 bout with Canelo Alvarez or a world title opportunity with WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders. Monroe is also looking for showdowns with contenders David Lemieux and Curtis Stevens.

The recent win over Rosado netted Monroe the WBO Inter-Continental Middleweight title.

Sporting a record of 21-2 with 6 knockouts has Monroe ranked number-5 by the WBA, number-8 by the WBO and number-13 by the WBC.

This week, Monroe became a member of #TeamEverlast as a endorser for the legendary Everlast brand.

“I am very thankful to be a part of #TeamEverlast. Joining this elite group of guys is a testament to my hard work and determination being recognized. I look forward to growing with Everlast in the coming years.”

“2017 is going to be an exciting year,” said Monroe. “I saw what it is like to be on that stage in 2015 when I faced Golovkin for the world title. This year I beat 2 world title challengers decisively, and now I am looking to keep that momentum and have a big year. You will see a lot more fight out of Willie Monroe. I have already proved myself as a boxer, and this year I will have to show other elements out of Willie Monroe.”

“It was a big stage to fight Golovkin, but I fought on a bigger stage on the Canelo undercard in front of 50,000 people, and I proved that I am one of the top guys in the division. I will prove that once again in 2017.”

“The most important thing for me is activity in 2017. There are fights to be made; Saunders, Stevens, Lemieux. I would fight all of those guys one after another. My team and I ended 2016 with fireworks; lets continue that show in 2017.”

“Willie put together an amazing 2016 in the final 6 months of the year. I am glad we got the deal with Everlast finalized. This serves as excellent momentum going into 2017,” said Adrian Clark (Strategic Partner to Willie Monroe, Jr.)

“Willie had an outstanding year,” said Banner Promotions President, Artie Pelullo. “He showed his resiliency by coming back from the Golovkin fight. Great fighters take losses and come back stronger, and that is what Willie showed. He will be in a significant bout in early 2017, and he will prove again that he is one of the top middleweights in the world.”


Related Posts

Demetrius Andrade wins 12-round unanimous decision over Alantez Fox in Middleweight Debut

unnamed (33)Verona, NY (OCT. 21 2017) -Two-Time undefeated world champion Demetrius Andrade made a successful debut as a middleweight by winning a dominant 12-round unanimous decision over previously undefeated Alantez Fox at The Turning Stone Resort Casino. The bout was the co-feature bout of an HBO Boxing After Dark® tripleheader In round one, Andrade rocked Fox […]

READ MORE →

Demetrius Andrade – Alantez Fox Media Assets

harney_andrade_foxWEIN002 (1)Verona, NY (OCT. 21 2017) -Below is some of the media coverage for tonight’s 12-round middleweight bout between undefeated two-time world champion Demetrius Andrade and undefeated Alantez Fox. That bout will be part of an HBO Boxing After Dark® from the Turning Stone Resort Casino beginning at 10:05 ET/PT. Dan Rafael, ESPN.com, Demetrius Andrade ready […]

READ MORE →

Andrade – Fox weights from Verona plus Villa & Dutchover

harney_andrade_foxWEIN004Verona, NY (OCT. 20, 2017) -Weights from Turning Stone Resort Casino for Saturday’s HBO Boxing After Dark® telecast. Demetrius Andrade 159.5 – Alantez Fox 160 Ruben Villa 127 1/4 – German Meraz 128 Michael Dutchover 135 – Anthony De Jesus Ruiz 133 1/2 The bout will be the live co-feature of an HBO Boxing After […]

READ MORE →

Heralded Prospects Ruben Villa and Michael Dutchover to appear on non-televised undercard this Saturday night at Turning Stone Resort Casino

Ruben Villa (2)PHILADELPHIA, PENN./ORANGE, Calif. (Oct. 19, 2017) – Heralded prospects, featherweight Ruben Villa (8-0, 4KOs) and junior lightweight Michael Dutchover (6-0, 4 KOs) will return to action this Saturday night on the non-televised portion of an HBO Boxing After Dark® card at the Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York. Villa of Salinas, California will […]

READ MORE →

Comments are closed.

Back to Top