Johannesburg, October 27 – Former world champion Ruslan Provodnikov (24-4, 17 KOs) says he will be in great shape for next weekend’s showdown with Jesus Alvarez Rodriguez (14-0, 11 KOs) in Monte Carlo as he was in training for a fight in New York at the same time.
Those plans changed, though, because “six or seven opponents changed their mind about fighting me”. They include Amir Khan and Shawn Porter.
The Russian’s in-your-face style makes him a tough fight for anyone and it’s little surprise that many big names have baulked at the chance to challenge him.
“It’s frustrating, but we will persevere,” he said from his base in Indio, California where he is working with new trainer Joel Diaz, former trainer of Provodnikov rival Timothy Bradley.
Asked what sort of fight Monte Carlo fans can expect next weekend, the Banner Promotions boxer unsurprisingly pointed to his reputation saying he had been in two fights of the year candidates, plus the fight of the year with Bradley in 2013.
“Right now, the goal is to become world champion again. Being in America has made me a better fighter,” said the 31-year-old who grew up admiring Mike Tyson. “If you are a star in the USA then you are a star all over the world. Plus the competition level in the US is at its highest.”
Having grown up in western Siberia, he attributes the emergence of Eastern Bloc fighters like himself, Gennady Golovkin, Artur Beterbiev and so many others to the challenges thrown down by Soviet history.
“There have been some tough times that really made people very hard-working and persistent in whatever they do,” said the man they call the “Siberian Rocky”.
Provodnikov is looking forward to following in the footsteps of Golovkin, who has fought in the principality three times to much acclaim.
“I’ve never been there, but I’ve heard it’s one of the most beautiful places in the world. I know Gennady enjoyed it every time. I can’t wait to see how many fans I have over there.”
As ever, the Russian expects to put on a good show. “I’ve seen Rodriguez’s fights. He is a very strong fighter, and unbeaten. This will be a brawl.”
His fans, of course, wouldn’t want it any other way.
Online reservations: http://www.montecarloboxingbonanza.com/
http://megasportsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Movie-Camera-by-OCAL-courtesy-of-Clker.com_.pngThis world class event is exclusively distributed internationally by leading boxing rights distributor and sports marketing firm, Protocol Sports Marketing. The company is presently in conversation with top broadcasters worldwide to ensure that the November 7 telecast can be seen by sports fans everywhere.
Tel: (+377) 98 06 36 36
From 10am to 19pm, 7 days/week
For Additional Information: (Media)
FOR GOLDEN GLOVES
Clinton Van Der Berg: + 27 83 297 4677/ Clinton.Vanderberg@Supersport.com
FOR MONTE-CARLO SOCIETE DES BAINS DE MER
Eric Bessone +377 98 06 63 62 / firstname.lastname@example.org