PHILADELPHIA (October 1, 2013)—This past Saturday night at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, WBO #1 Ranked Middleweight Bryan Vera put in an amazing performance that should have propelled him to a victory over former WBC Middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
Vera won the fight overwhelmingly on all social media sites and the below link compiled by Boxing News polled nearly sixty writers and NOT ONE saw the fight for Chavez and only seven went so far as to score this a draw.
The entire world on HBO Championship Boxing, with the exception of the three judges at ringside, saw that Vera controlled the action and outlanded Chavez in the bout. Vera also threw 406 more punches and was more consistent throughout the fight.
“I won the fight like everybody else saw.”, said Vera.
“If I get another opportunity, especially in Texas, it will be more of a level playing field. I felt like I proved that I am one of the best Middleweights and Super Middleweights in the world and nobody expected that.”
“We are extremely proud of Bryan. He is a true professional and he went out there, did his job and clearly won the fight”, said Banner Promotions President Arthur Pelullo.
“I have been getting calls from all over from people who saw Bryan go out there and win. With this performance, Bryan clearly won the fight in the court of public opinion and it opened up more doors for him. HBO I know wants him back and the first order of business is to pursue the rematch. Bryan gave into all of Chavez’ demands regarding the weight so now it’s only fair to concede something to Bryan. Chavez should man up and give him a rematch”
Said Vera’s manager David Watson, “This is what Teddy Atlas talks about with the terrible judging. Bryan did everything that was asked of him. He trained hard and did everything the right way and went out there and did his job, what kind of message does this send? We know he won. The world knows he won. We know that he can’t win unless he knocks Chavez out because of the unfair judging. He carried and controlled the fight and the only people who thought Chavez won were the three judges.”
“Ever since we walked out of the ring, people have not been happy about this and I know the public wants to see a rematch.”
LOS ANGELES (SEPTEMBER 26, 2013)—Below are quotes from Wednesday’s press conference in advance of Saturday’s Super Middleweight showdown between former WBC Middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and WBO #1 ranked Middleweight Bryan Vera that will take place at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
The show is promoted by Top Rank and Banner Promotions and will be televised LIVE on HBO’s Championship Boxing.
Bryan Vera (23-6, 14 KO’s)—“It has been the longest camp I have ever been in so I am not lying when I say I am in the best shape of my career.”
Arthur Pelullo—“Bryan knows he is fighting a great young fighter and it’s going to be a great night of boxing. We feel that Bryan will have an excellent night. When Bob Arum called me about the fight, Bryan didn’t blink an eyelash and said yes. He knew this could be a career changing fight. He wanted this fight from the get-go. He understands the formal task in front of him. He is a great fighter and he is coming to win the fight.”
David Watson (Vera Manager)—“This is going to be a great exciting fight. Bryan has prepared for it. You are going to see two prideful fighters going at it.”
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KO’s)—“I am very happy that fight night is coming very soon. I think it’s going to be a great fight for the audience. You are going to see the best Julio you have ever seen.”
Bob Arum—“People who know and understand boxing know that this will be a tremendous event and very exciting.”
Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. –“We are very happy that the fight is getting closer. I can assure that you will see a great fight on Saturday. I know that Bryan Vera will give a sensational fight. We know my son is in for a tough fight on Saturday but we have a lot of confidence and we know that he will come for a victory.”
Fernando Beltran (Zanfer Promotions)—“I know that Chavez has a very tough opponent in front of him. The people are the winners of this show as they will see a sensational match.”
Tony Walker (HBO)—“The challenge of Bryan Vera will be very formidable.”
PHILADELPHIA, PA (August 29, 2013)—Below are quotes from WBO number-one ranked Middleweight Bryan Vera and his team from Thursday’s press conference at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles to announce the September 28th fight between Vera and former WBC Middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. that will take place at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA and be broadcasted live on HBO”
The fight card is promoted by Top Rank and Banner Promotions
Bryan Vera—“We could have stayed around and fought WBO champion Peter Quilin but we know what is at stake with all of this”
“I feel like I been in camp for three fights. I expect to be victorious in a great fight on September 28th.”
David Watson (Manager)—“Bryan has worked hard for this. He has been to people’s backyard’s and won. Bryan realizes that this is his opportunity.”
Arthur Pelullo (CEO of Banner Promotions)—“The bottom line for us is that Bryan made this happen on his own. We believe that this is Bryan’s opportunity. Neither fighter backs up and that will make it a great fight for television and the fans
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.–“Vera is the real deal, a warrior,” said Chávez. “Years ago I sparred a few rounds against Vera when I was in Dallas during the Pacquiao vs. Margarito event. Vera was pretty intense and I knew he could fight. We were in a ring set up inside of the Gaylord Hotel. So this fight on September 28 will challenging for me. I am just so happy getting back into the ring after such a long layoff. I think about the Sergio Martinez fight every day. A little of me died inside when I lost that fight. Could I have done better? Of course I should have but it did not happen. Now we have Vera who is aggressive and punches hard. I wanted to come back against a great fighter and Vera is all of that. I plan to win this fight and then we will discuss my plans for 2014.”
PHILADELPHIA (August 16, 2013)—Due to a cut suffered by former WBC Middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the twelve round Super Middleweight bout between Chavez Jr. and WBO number-one ranked Middleweight Bryan Vera has been pushed back to Saturday September 28th at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
The bout, which was originally announced for September 7th is promoted by Top Rank and Banner Promotions and will be seen live on HBO.
Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) suffered the cut earlier this week while sparring and forcing the bout to be moved back three weeks.
Vera (23-6, 14 KO’s) of Austin, Texas has been training intensely in Houston.
“We are happy that after Chavez suffered the injury that the fight could be rescheduled so quickly”, said Banner Promotions president, Arthur Pelullo.
“Bryan has been training hard and has been thinking about this fight for the better part of six months. We know he will put on a great show and that this is a great opportunity for him”
By Lem Satterfield of Ringtv.com
Russian fighter Ruslan Provodnikov and Mike Alvarado were in Denver on Tuesday for a press conference in advance of their junior welterweight bout on Oct. 19 for Alvarado’s WBO belt to be held at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colo., a suburb of Denver, near Alvardo’s hometown of Thornton.
During a same-day telephone interview prior to the event that was translated by his manager, Vadim Kornilov, Provodnikov (22-2, 15 knockouts) shared his thoughts on Alvarado (34-1, 23 KOs), including their experiences while shooting an edition of HBO’s Face Off With Max Kellerman last week in Los Angeles.
Alvarado, who presented Provodnikov with a Denver Broncos’ jersey duriing the press conference, was last in the ring for a unanimous decision win over Brandon Rios in March that avenged his seventh-round stoppage loss to Rios last year.
Trained by Freddie Roach, Provodnikov (22-2, 15 KOs) is coming off a unanimous decision loss in March to WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley, whom Provodnikov floored in the 12th round of his 147-pound debut.
Although Provodnikov never has been stopped, his other setback was in January of 2011 by unanimous decision against Mauricio Herrera, whom Alvarado unanimously decisioned in April of 2012 prior to his two bouts with Rios.
Their common opponent, in part, led Alvarado’s co-manager, Henry Delgado, saying that his fighter would defeat Provodnikov by “seventh- or eighth-round knockout.”
Provodnikov expressed supreme confidence, however, while speaking to RingTV.com in this Q&A:
LOS ANGELES (August 12, 2013)—World Ranked Ruslan Provodnikov began training camp today at the Wild Card Gym to start his preparation for his October 19th clash with WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Mike Alvarado that will take place in Denver and will be seen Live on HBO.
Provodnikov (22-2, 15 KO’s) arrived in Los Angeles last week and did promotional activities with Alvarado which included the taping of the popular “Face to Face “program. Today he started full force with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach and world class strength and conditioning coach Gavin McMillian.
Tonight, Provodnikov will board a flight for Denver for the kick off press conference which takes place on Tuesday afternoon.
“My fate gave me another chance in a big fight to fight for the title.” said Provodnikov.
“Today I started training camp which is the road towards my dream and goal to become world champion”.
Said Provodnikov’s manager Vadim Kornilov, “Ruslan started training with Gavin McMillian today. With the full training camp that Ruslan will get with Freddie and Gavin, I think Ruslan will be a more complete fighter in the ring”.
The fight is promoted by Top Rank and Banner Promotions.
PHILADELPHIA PA – Fresh off his eighth round stoppage over Josenilson Dos Santos on July 26th, Lightweight contender Miguel Gonzalez would like to reacquaint himself with amateur rival Terrance Crawford this fall.
Gonzalez (22-3, 16 KO’s) of Cleveland, Ohio was very impressive in his victory over Dos Santos which was his second consecutive win on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.
“It was a tough fight with a tough guy”, said the 27 year-old Gonzalez. “I was mentally and physically prepared for the fight and you saw the results”. Gonzalez believes he is finally on the right course to become a world champion. “It was supposed to be like this. I am good at the sport and my confidence is there. I am supposed to win and have been doing it for a long time. I am nowhere near finished and the grind doesn’t stop. I know what to expect when I go to camp and I will keep progressing”.
Gonzalez would like a shot at Crawford, who has an HBO date on October 5th and with the wins over Dos Santos and former world champion Miguel Acosta, Gonzalez believes he is qualified as anybody to deserve the opportunity to unseat the undefeated Crawford.
Gonzalez and Crawford have a history as they competed as amateurs with Crawford winning a controversial decision.
The fight took place in the United States Championships.
“I was up the whole fight and for some reason I was deducted a point in the last 15 seconds and that point was the difference as lost because of it by that one point”.
“We then fought in the Olympic trials and I beat him so I was satisfied with that”.
Gonzalez now would like a rubber match but this time in the pro ranks with the rising Lightweight contender from Nebraska.
“He is a talented boxer and it would be a great fight but I have the heart, style and desire to destroy him and I want the opportunity to prove it”.
Crawford’s television date is scheduled to take place on October 5th at the co-feature to the Miguel Cotto – Delvin Rodriguez Jr. Middleweight clash in Orlando, Florida.
“Orlando is a great Boricua community; I think that would be the perfect place for me for that fight to happen”.
“I want to thank my trainer Mike Stafford and Levi Smith and I can’t wait to perform again”.
Said Gonzalez’co-Promoter Arthur Pelullo of Banner Promotions, “Miguel has fought two very good fights back to back and he did it on the national stage. We are very pleased with his progress and hope to have him in a big fight real shortly”.
Philadelphia PA – Ruslan Provodnikov has landed in Los Angeles to begin training camp for his much anticipated showdown with WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Mike Alvarado that will take place on Saturday, October 19th at First Bank Arena in Denver, Colorado.
The bout will be live on HBO’s Championship boxing and is promoted by Top Rank and Banner Promotions.
Provodnikov will be training at the Wild Card Gym under the watchful eye of Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach. Provodnikov of Beryozovo, Russia has a record of 22-2 with fifteen knockouts and has become 2013’s breakout star. He won his first seventeen bouts with wins over Emanuel Augustus and former world champion Javier Juaragui. Since suffering his first pro defeat, Provodnikov went on terrific run of five straight wins over the likes of undefeated Ivan Popoca, former world champion DeMarcus Corley, David Torres and Jose Reynoso before his memorable March 16, 2013 clash with undefeated WBO Welterweight champion Timothy Bradley.
Provodnikov will be fighting for a world title for a second consecutive fight. “Since the Bradley fight, everyone in boxing, from the fans to the networks have been waiting the return of Ruslan”, said Banner Promotions CEO Arthur Pelullo. “Then when rumors of a possible fight with Alvarado started to surface, our office has been flooded with calls to find out the details. Now I can safely say that this can’t miss fight is on and we know that Ruslan will shine once again on October 19th”.
Said Ruslan Provodnikov, “I am very happy that Alvarado finally agreed to the fight”. “I think this will be an unforgettable fight and I promise I will not disappoint my fans”. “We have been waiting for this for a long time”, said Provodnikov’s manager Vadim Kornilov.
“This is another opportunity for Ruslan. I think the fight will decide who is the real player in the Jr. Welterweight division and the true WBO champion”
Alvarado of Denver has a record of 34-1 with 23 knockouts and will be making the first defense of the title he won on March 30th in his thrilling twelve round unanimous decision victory over Brandon Rios in a rematch of their back and forth slugfest in 2012.
Alvarado has wins over the likes of Carlos Molina, Michael Clark, Ray Narh and Breidis Prescott.
By Dan Rafael of espn.com
Junior middleweight contender Demetrius Andrade is pumped up to be fighting for a world title. He gets to face Vanes Martirosyan for a vacant belt on Sept. 7 (HBO) on the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Brian Vera undercard at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
“I am looking forward to this fight and have been waiting for this fight ever since I walked into the gym at age 7,” Andrade said. “I always wanted to be champion of the world, and on Sept. 7th, I will be crowned champion.”
ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter
Don’t miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday’s fights. Join »
Andrade (19-0, 13 KOs) was supposed to travel to Ukraine to challenge Zaurbek Baysangurov for his 154-pound belt on July 6, but Baysangurov suffered a back injury, withdrew from the bout and was eventually stripped as per the terms of the purse bid that had taken place a couple of months earlier.
That left Andrade, 25, of Providence, R.I., to face Martirosyan, the next leading available contender, for the vacant belt.
Andrade was a star amateur who won a gold medal in the 2007 world amateur championships and was also a 2008 U.S. Olympian. But in Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21 KOs), Andrade will be facing another fighter with a strong amateur background. Martirosyan, 27, of Glendale, Calif., was a 2004 U.S. Olympian.
“I wanted to win an Olympic gold medal, and since they took that from me, I am going to take this world title,” Andrade said. “I was a 2008 Olympian, and he made it in 2004. I will show him that if I was around in 2003 and 2004, he would not have made the team.”
PHILADELPHIA PA – On Saturday September 7th, former U.S. Olympian and undefeated Demetrius Andrade will vie for his first world championship, when he takes on fellow former U.S. Olympian Vanes Martirosyan in a twelve round bout from the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.
The bout, which will be televised live on HBO Championship Boxing, will be the co-feature to the Super Middleweight clash between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Bryan Vera.
Demetrius Andrade of Providence, Rhode Island was a former world amateur champion and has a perfect professional mark of 19-0 with thirteen knockouts and is currently the number two contender for the WBO belt.
Vanes Martiroysan of Glendale, California is 33-0-1 with 21 knockouts.